Wesp32 - ESP32 with Ethernet!

This looks like a neat project to watch out for:

One of the handy things that the ESP8266 + ESP32 have (maybe the other ESP platforms as well) is OTA updates. But they’re all wifi only, which has it’s drawbacks.

That is exactly what I’ve been dreaming of for a few years…

Likewise! PoE 802.3at and 13 watts available at 12v is pretty freaking cool.

Shut up and take my money!

And they’ve released it -> https://www.crowdsupply.com/silicognition/wesp32

I wish they had an ad-hoc version instead of just 802.3…

On the features list:

Support for applying external power to V+, in case PoE is unavailable

You can get breakout fly leads for Passive PoE and power it that way.

Considering the rest of the power features:

Default 12 V output setting for V+ provides 12.95+ W of power
Optional (bridge solder jumper) 5 V output setting for V+ provides 5 W of power
IEEE 802.3at Type 1 Class 0 compliant PoE
3.3 V output with up to 6 W of power (taken from V+)
Support for powering via the wESP32-Prog USB port (limited to 5 V on V+)
Compatible with both PoE Mode A (power over data pairs) and PoE Mode B (power over spare pairs)

Being able to pull nearly 13W @ 12V off the output is pretty darn nice. With an efficient stepdown, that’s almost 30W/6A at 5V!

nope… Watts is Watts.

Amps go up when volts go down, but watts stay the same.

Common error tho… :stuck_out_tongue:

Ahh, yes @Tinker is quite right. I’ll blame my pre-caffeinated brain :wink:

1 Like

Wishing the Wesp32 was a tad cheaper. $40 AUD would be nice, but I understand the reasons why they are still at $55 USD each. I can just wait it out until they drop in price.

I backed this on Crowd Supply because I’ve been doing some ESP32 work for a commercial client (not related to SuperHouse) over the last 12 months, and on their wish-list is PoE with ESP32. It looks like they’ll be shipping soon so I’m keen to see how well they work.

Last June I did most of the schematic and started the PCB layout for an ESP32 board with PoE and a pair of I/O Breakout headers (IDC12) but never got back to doing the routing. It’s something I’d personally find useful though so it’s still on my list.

1 Like

It doesn’t seem that the WESP32 allows “OTA” (“OTWire?”) firmware updates. Does anyone here know if that is the case? This would be a killer device if it could. I’ve looked at Ether10 and EtherMega as well, but getting OTA firmware reflashing would be a challenge.

It’s a component of the Espressif IDF, so I imagine OTA would function as per a regular ESP32.

https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp-idf/en/latest/api-reference/system/ota.html

It’s the killer feature I’m hoping for when mine finally arrive.

And I just got my Export Control forms to sign! Hopefully that means shipping soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’ll have to let us know if/when they finally are able to ship :slight_smile:

1 Like

@techman83 I got my form too, then today I got an email saying I didn’t need to complete the form!

1 Like

Nice! I got my DHL notification today :smiley: - I’d assume there is a good chance you’ve already ordered something from Mouser, who’ve acquired Crowd Supply. Maybe their logistics system might have you covered off already?

1 Like

I’ve definitely ordered from Mouser before, so maybe that’s the reason. I know that I’ve had to complete export declarations in the past.

My pair have arrived! I’ve not had any time to so anything beyond open the box, but I’m excited!

3 Likes

Have you been able to play with these?