Sonoff's and MQTT message broadcasting

Anybody running Sonoff’s running Tasmota and taken a moment to look at the messages being broadcasted to MQTT? I am trying to chase down some issues that have cropped up with the addition of the new hardware I put in the system and I noticed that the 3 Sonoff’s are constantly broadcasting what appears to be status messages about every 10 seconds. They are basically broadcasting all their information… IP adresss, topics subscribed, mqtt addresses, EVERYTHING. I don’t know if this is supposed to happen but it is. And I assume it is due to Tasmota. Anyone know what that is all about?

Not sure about why they’re sending that much info…

Mine typically send something like:

tele/sonoff-K2/STATE {“Time”:“2019-05-31T16:17:05”,“Uptime”:“48T17:35:16”,“Vcc”:3.106,“POWER”:“ON”,“Wifi”:{“AP”:1,“SSId”:“VictoriaDrive2B”,“RSSI”:100,“APMac”:“28:C6:8E:29:9D:30”}}

But the frequency is configurable by changing the telemetry period. It’s 300 seconds by default & yours seems to be set to 10.

Yep… that’s the header to the messages. But it’s MEM, TIM, MQT, NET, SNS, SRS, PRM, FWR, LOG, NET… for each one of the Sonoff’s. So this must be a base programming thing, to send out telemetry data? And is there a need for that info? I assume that this is what systems like HA and Openhab use to keep track of them and their states? LOL… I think I answered my own question. I guess I won’t worry about it. I checked again and they don’t actually broadcast passwords. Just everything else under the sun.

Hhhmmm… Interesting…

Just updated one to the latest version…

tele/sonoff-K2/STATE {“Time”:“2019-05-31T21:28:51”,“Uptime”:“0T00:03:14”,“Vcc”:3.107,“SleepMode”:“Dynamic”,“Sleep”:50,“LoadAvg”:19,“POWER”:“ON”,“Wifi”:{“AP”:1,“SSId”:“VictoriaDrive2B”,“BSSId”:“28:C6:8E:29:9D:30”,“Channel”:11,“RSSI”:100,“LinkCount”:1,“Downtime”:“0T00:00:04”}}

Seems to spit out even more on the basic telemetry.

Still not the same list you’re seeing tho.

Yep. Mine look like that with the message attached below that is a string of a couple hundred numbers for the payload. AND I get a message for each one of the three letter acronyms listed above. On each of the Sonoffs online. So 25 messages a minute or so. It’s not negatively affecting my network or even MQTT but I can imagine that 50 Sonoffs would add a little overhead. Thinking I need to do some research on this.

EDIT: Ok… so every time I start looking at an issue or how to reconfigure something, I come to realize that I know pretty much nothing compared to what all this silly crap is capable of. It appears that my telemetry settings are by default… a lot. And I can change it all.So I will. This hobby has a unique way of making me feel stupid. Kind of like my ex-wife :smiley: Only this won’t take all my stuff. Never mind… it probably will. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Only 1 ex-wife?

Lucky man…

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I am tired of losing my stuff. I chose better this time :grinning:

1 Like