Day of celebration

#1

Well i have to say there are not to many great feelings than ticking another smart home item off the list.

We are in pretty bad drought atm and i am sick of getting up on the tank every few weeks to check the situation. This is pretty much the slippery slope that got me into IoT.

I wanted to do it all off a ESP-01 due to the size… And i have loads of them. I used JSN-SR04T2.0 to do the distance sensing.
My big challenge is the lack of IOs on the ESP-01, if I have the echo on GPIO 0 or 2 it pulls low at boot and this will be no good when entering deep sleep. So I ended up using the RX pin as I could still use the TX for debugging in serial and I have OTA updates in the sketch anyway.

I still got a few things to do like adding the reset pin to GPIO16 for deep sleep waking, and to finish programming the reading interval.
I have it subscribed to a topic that I can send a string of 24 hour times separated via comma and it automatically calculates the time to next wake.

Hopefully, this saves me some amps, I may also use a buck converter when they arrive instead of the regulator as its stepping down from 8v to 3.3v so a lot of wasted heat with and LD1117.

Think a glass of pepperjacks is on the cards.

2 Likes
#2

That’s awesome- and a great use of technology to make your life easier!
How are you consuming the data? NodeRed dashboard? OpenHAB or HA?

Have you measured current consumption to estimate battery life?

#3

At the moment i am using openhab, mostly all setup paper ui with a habpanel display.
I send all the readings to a MySQL DB for charting later on.

Off a quick test without deep sleep mode it won’t last very long, 2 weeks tops with 2 readings a day. Once i get deep sleep going it should last 12 months, the batteries are 4000ma each.

Just have to think of more useful things now to automate lol

#4

That is a great idea! I like the assembly with a metal divider panel that acts as part of the battery retention… and I assume ground? Super clean. Kudos.

EDIT: Oh duh… a black and red wire going to one end… lol. I am being Mister Observant today I guess. Also, if you can get a few weeks out of the batteries on their own, you could easily add a tiny solar panel with charge controller to the mix and you’d never have to crack the case again. That is until you upgrade your prototype of course:0)

1 Like
#5

That is an excellent idea, omg can’t believe that didn’t even think of that.

The divider is steel but I insulated it in the end, it was actually part of the series battery setup but I couldn’t solder the spring to the galv and ended up just wrapping it in tape and gluing the contacts. I will probably add plastic one when I get a 3d printer but I did notice an unforeseen advantage to using the steel, it acts as a spring when inserting the battery.