Cleaning PC Board after flood

Sorry this is a little bit off-topic
We had a flood last year in our factory and had to go in and lift everything off the ground.
Eventually, all the water was cleaned out and fixed.
I set up the office and got everything up and running, all seemed ok.
Due to Covid19 we are working from home and I moved some of the office equipment home.
The fan on the Synology Diskstation kept beeping and when I pulled it apart, I realized the water had gotten into the Diskstation.
I’m surprised it still works because it’s really bad, but it works fine except the fan and at $500 I don’t want to replace it if I don’t have too.
It still works and I wanted to clean the board as its got mud on it from the flood, any suggestions as to what to clean the board with?

thanks, Ian

You can buy electrical contact cleaner spray that works well. It just can’t have water in it. I have cleaned many PC mother boards with sprays designed for cleaning electrical equipment and had good luck

That’s astonishing that it still works!
You can use isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush.

It is actually OK if the board gets wet as long as there is no stored energy in the caps (and obviously unplugged), then dried thoroughly. I’ve washed a RaspberryPi in the sink with soap and water and it worked for about another year. I was carful not to get water underneath the ICs; and I dried it in a bowl of rice for a couple of days after.

That being said, this is likely a ticking time bomb. It may be a good idea to start putting some $$ away to upgrade. You may have luck setting a watch on EBAY for used units which match your exact model.

I agree with aspork42 except I would remove it from the chassis then first wash it with soap and water, dry it as best you can then if you have one put it in an ultrasonic cleaner and cover it isopropyl alcohol run the cleaner for 30 minutes. If you don’t have an ultrasonic, then put it in a dish and cover it with isopropyl and agitate the dish for at least 30 minutes. After cleaning with isopropyl remove and shake excess liquid out then put the board in an electrically (not gas) warmed enclosure at 50 deg C for at least 4 hours. Don’t use rice, it doesn’t work despite what people say. I have read a report where a portable 2 way radio was revived after 6 months in sea water, yes several components had to be replaced due to component legs being corroded away but the majority of components had survived.