Smart Thermostat

Hi Everyone,

First-time poster here. I have been following SuperHouse for a while now. I’m trying to automate my central heating/cooling system (York) ) by replacing my old thermostat. I was just wondering what options are there that can support zones. I have looked at Nest and Ecobee, but not sure if they can support zones without major rewiring. At the moment I have manual switch that changes zones to upstairs / downstairs. I have attached a few pictures of my controller wiring. Thank you for your help.

1 Like

Hey! Welcome to the rabbit hole!
I have some experience in the HVAC world but am not totally up on all the latest and greatest of the controllers. It looks like your zone control is not connected in any way to the thermostat? The connections to that are pretty bog standard stuff. It is very possible to do thermostat automation but the zone control adds complexity to the mix. Are you looking to change out the whole thing for a DIY thermostat setup or looking to find a unit that does zoned control that is “smart”?

How does the zone control work currently?

Do you need to change thoese switches to change the zone?

as @Guru_Of_Nothing said above it looks like the zone control isnt linked to the thermostat. so working separately with them might be a possibility.

It looks like your zone control is not connected in any way to the thermostat?

No, I don’t believe so just a 3 way switch.

Are you looking to change out the whole thing for a DIY thermostat setup or looking to find a unit that does zoned control that is “smart”?

I’m looking for a of the shelf thermostat that can combine zone control and thermostat in to one unit. The goal is to have something nice looking and to connect to HomeAssistant. DIY using sonoff as zone control is not out of the question.

How does the zone control work currently?

Simple switch upstairs, downstairs both. No smarts at all.

Do you need to change thoese switches to change the zone?

Yes I want to have one unit that control’s zones, heat / cold and connects to HA

One option for some zone control is just to use 2 spinoffs. Or if your looking for a somewhat more permeant solution you could go down the path of an arduino controlling relays In a switchboard. And control that via mqtt

That would open the door for. Future controls like lights etc

I still need to have something physical on the wall.

then you could add something like a d1 mini with 2 buttons one that controls the upstairs and 1 down stairs to toggle the zones on or off.

I was looking around at zoned thermostats and they want serious dough for them :face_with_raised_eyebrow: There are a number of things that a zoned thermostat is supposed to do. One is to read the temp of each zone and provide heating/cooling as required to that zone independently from the others. More sophisticated systems will allow for independent temps for each zone. So the downstairs can be set to one temp and upstairs can be set to a different temp. The actual creation of the project is above my knowledge level since my coding abilities are not to that level yet but you would need a base control module ( a D1mini would work well) and a relay board for zone control. The upstairs and downstairs zones need some sort of temp sensors if you want automatic zone control. I am assuming that you could probably use the voltage on the existing lines to power these devices but it might require rectification as some furnaces use AC voltage instead of DC voltage.